CONSTITUTION & CANONS
Learn more about our diocese’s organization and administration, as well as its governing rules (i.e., canons) by reading our Diocesan Constitution and Canons. The Canons of the General Convention are reviewed and revised during that triennial meeting.
Updated May 2016
The Diocesan Council is a representative governing body that serves as an oversight governing body between conventions. The Diocesan Council meets regularly to ensure the diocese runs efficiently and effectively by:
- Ensuring sound fiscal management and practices
- Supporting and reviewing diocesan ministries
- Other duties as requested by the bishop or the Diocesan Convention
Diocesan Budget, Congregational Allocations and Audited Financial Statement
The Standing Committee is the body of lay and clergy members of the Diocese elected by the annual Diocesan Convention and authorized by the Canons of the Episcopal Church as the Bishop’s Council of Advice. If there is no Diocesan or Suffragan or Coadjutor Bishop canonically authorized to act, the Standing Committee becomes the Ecclesiastical Authority of the Diocese for all purposes declared by General Convention.
In addition to this, the Canons of the Diocese of Maryland provide that the Standing Committee advises the Bishop or gives consent in matters of the disposition of property, ecclesiastical discipline, the election and consecration of Bishops, and in matters involving candidates for ordained ministry. The election of members and the terms and conditions of their office are defined by these Canons.
mutual ministry review
The Standing Committee reported the results of the Mutual Ministry Review conducted beginning in late 2015.
A Mutual Ministry Review is intended to be an honest look at what is working well together while considering ways of improving in areas that are less effective. As such, the review looks at church leadership as a system. It’s an intentional time of reflection and discernment.
The review started with a listening phase, in which lay and clergy leaders in the Diocese of Maryland were surveyed about a number of ministry and organizational areas. The survey results identified places of celebration and challenges in ministry.
The next phase was a time of in depth conversation among the Standing Committee and the Bishops about what the Diocese has said and then mutually discerning how to respond. The Standing Committee is now pleased to report what they have heard and learned and to continue with those conversations.
STANDING COMMITTEE MEMBERS
- The Rev. T. Stewart Lucas (2020), President
Church of the Nativity and Holy Comforter, Baltimore
- Mr. Jesse Milan, Jr. (2020)
- Ms. Mary DeKuyper (2021), Vice President
Church of the Redeemer, Baltimore
- The Rev. Canon Dr. Mark Gatza (2021), Secretary
Emmanuel, Bel Air
- Mr. David Boyce (2022)
St. Margaret’s, Annapolis
- The Rev. Adrien Dawson (2022)
All Saints’, Frederick
- Ms. Kari-Ann Lynne (2023)
St. James, Monkton
- The Rev. Kathy Shahinian (2023)
St. Anne’s, Annapolis
To contact the Standing Committee, please email:
DIOCESAN COUNCIL MEMBERS
- Garrett Carskadon+ Convention (2020) St. Peter’s, Lonaconing and St. James, Westernport
- Karen Crosby+ Western Maryland (2022) St. John’s, Frostburg
- Nona Diggs Convention (2022) St. Katherine of Alexandria, Baltimore
- Phyllis Everette Convention (2021) St. Anne’s, Annapolis
- Mike Hillard Convention (2020) St. John’s, Mt. Washington, Baltimore
- Carla Kaufman Frederick (2022) St. James’, Mt. Airy
- Curtis Landen Convention (2022) Church of the Holy Trinity, Baltimore
- Herb Malveaux Convention (2020) Trinity, Elkridge
- Loree Penner+ Baltimore North (2022) St. Thomas Epiphany, Timonium
- Ken Phelps+ Southern Maryland (2021) All Saints’, Sunderland
- Liz Pratt Harford (2021) 1st VP Holy Trinity, Churchville
- John Repulski Convention (2021) Emmanuel, Baltimore
- Travis Smith+ Convention (2021) Grace Church, Elkridge
- Vaughn Virgil Convention (2022) Church on the Square, Canton Baltimore
- Corby Zeren+ Anne Arundel (2021) St. Phillip’s, Annapolis
- Lay Patapsco Valley (2022)
- Lay Baltimore South (2021)
- Clergy Washington Co (2022)
Ex-Officio Members: Canon to the ordinary, Chief Financial Officer, Chancellor, Treasurer, Secretary, Chair of Planning, Chair of Program and Budget.