GRANTS AND FINANCIAL RESOURCES
DIOCESAN GRANTS FOR MINISTRY
Grants Program for Technology Initiatives opens March 17, 2021
This is a limited-time grant of funds from the Diocese of Maryland designed to assist smaller congregations as they bridge the technology divide. Congregations may apply for a grant of up to $2,500 (Larger amounts may be granted on a case-by-case basis, based on information submitted on the grant application). This is not a loan, but a free and clear grant made possible by the gifts of faithful Christians. Money will be taken from the Endowment Grants and other sources. All grants will be reviewed by the Grants Committee and monies are approved by the Diocesan Council upon recommendation from the Grants Committee. Grant applications must be received by 5:00 PM, April 9, 2021. Read the qualifications below, gather the documentation needed, then click the red button to apply for this grant.
Qualifications for Technology Initiatives Grants:
- Normal Operating Income (NOI) as reported on the 2019 Parochial Report is $200,000 or below (Congregations above $200,000 will be considered on a case-by-case basis, if funds are still available.)
- Church has need of updated hardware or software.
- Church has need of technology to enhance digital communication, including but not limited to the presentation of worship services and ministry.
- Church has already purchased software or hardware between March 30, 2020 and March 31, 2021 to increase digital communication. (Invoices or sales documents will be required.)
Examples of Hardware or Software that meet the qualifications of this Grant:
- Camera for computer for Zoom or other digital meetings
- Tablet or laptop to be used for Facebook live or other digital services
- Microphones for online or in-person worship
- Camera for online worship
- Router for increasing or expanding internet access
- Laptop or desktop upgrade for the Church office or clergy use (Will become property of the Church where grant is made.)
Examples that do not qualify:
- On-going cost of cable or internet access
- Salaries, Staff costs, or consulting fees
- On-going licenses for copyright, software, hardware
Endowment Grants for Ministry, Fall, 2021
This program provides funds of up to $10,000 per year, per applicant from special endowments to support the establishment of projects undertaken by Parishes or Regional Councils of the Diocese of Maryland. Awards are made to create new ministries or expand existing ministries in the areas of: Congregational development, ministry of the laity, ordained ministry, social and outreach ministry. Applications and guidelines will be announced late summer, 2021.
SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT GOALS
The Sustainable Development Goals grant committee accepts applications from $2,500 up to 50% of funds available in any given year. The 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, adopted by all United Nations Member States in 2015, provides a shared blueprint for peace and prosperity for people and the planet, now and into the future. At its heart are the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), which are an urgent call for action by all countries – developed and developing – in a global partnership. Learn more about the SDGs.
The Episcopal Diocese of Maryland commits 0.07% of its annual operating income to grants within the diocese for this work. Repeat applications are acceptable, with a three-year maximum per project. A similar project on a new site (serving new people) will be treated as a new project.
The Robert W. Ihloff Fund for Congregational Development is a discretionary fund administered by the Bishop of Maryland to promote efforts in congregational development. Grants support efforts to grow healthy and vital congregations in the following areas: New church development/redevelopment of existing congregations, small church development, stewardship . More details will be released in late summer, 2021.
CONTINUING EDUCATION GRANTS
The Continuing Education Committee of the Diocese of Maryland provides grants to be used to further education for the Christian ministry of the laity and clergy of our diocese. Read the Grant Guidelines to learn more, then download the Grant Application Form.
FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR CONGREGATIONS
The Financial Assistance for Congregations Committee is a committee of the Diocesan Council consisting of members from different sized churches in several regions of our Diocese. They are responsible for discerning with you the ways that God is calling your congregation into the future. They are also charged with evaluating and disbursing the designated funds from our Diocesan budget which will assist congregations that face financial hardship. The deadline for all applications is February 5, 2021.