Trinity Church in Baltimore was begun in 1804 in Fells Point and flourished for over thirty years until German families began moving into the area, and yellow fever epidemics decimated the congregation. The church building was sold to a German Lutheran congregation in 1836, but before that time Trinity’s rector, the Rev. Elisha Rattoone, had recorded the names of several African American persons he had married or baptized.
In the diocese of Maryland’s ongoing effort to grapple with our past and begin to bring about reconciliation and healing, we are mining the Archives for information about African Americans who had a relationship with the Episcopal Church in Maryland. One path is searching confirmation records.
Twenty years ago the Cathedral community undertook a significant project that enhanced our facilities and made a statement about who we are and our mission to the city around us. We built the Gardner Peace Chapel. Today we are able to consider a new undertaking. Our congregation is growing. Our appeal to young families is strong. Our community cares: for each other, for immigrants and refugees, for our city, and for the environment. As new energy is emerging we are asking ourselves, what kind of church do we aspire to be? How do we grow and where are we headed? What is God calling us to become?