The Diocese of Maryland, in response to the call of the Episcopal Church in Convention, passed its own resolution of support for the Millennium Development Goals in 2006.
Resolved that the 222nd Convention of the Diocese of Maryland, pledges 0.7% of its annual budget to fulfill the Millennium Development Goals [now called the Sustainable Development Goals]… (Resolution 2006-6)
These Goals, now known as the Sustainable Development Goals, are an international effort to end extreme poverty.
Sustainable Development Goals
- End poverty in all its forms everywhere
- End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture
- Ensure healthy lives and promote well-being for all at all ages
- Ensure inclusive and equitable quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
- Achieve gender equality and empower all women and girls
- Ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all
- Ensure access to affordable, reliable, sustainable and modern energy for all
- Promote sustained, inclusive and sustainable economic growth, full and productive employment and decent work for all
- Build resilient infrastructure, promote inclusive and sustainable industrialization and foster innovation
- Reduce inequality within and among countries
- Make cities and human settlements inclusive, safe, resilient and sustainable
- Ensure sustainable consumption and production patterns
- Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts
- Conserve and sustainably use the oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development
- Protect, restore and promote sustainable use of terrestrial ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, and halt and reverse land degradation and halt biodiversity loss
- Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- Strengthen the means of implementation and revitalize the global partnership for sustainable development
Sustainable Development Grants
…that the Bishop of Maryland appoint a committee to make recommendations to the Diocesan Council as to where the Millennium Development Goals [SDG] monies should be sent… (Resolution 2006-6)
The Sustainable Development Grant committee accepts applications from $2,500 up to 50% of funds available in any given year.
Repeat applications are acceptable, with a three-year maximum per project. A similar project on a new site (serving new people) will be treated as a new project.
Grant Application — Annually
Application materials available — All year long
Applications due by email —March 15
Grant funds disbursed — July 1, 2019
First Report from Grantees due — January 31, 2020
Final Report from Grantees due — July 1, 2020
Return the completed application to SDG@episcopalmaryland.org or mail it to:
The Rev. Linda K. Boyd
Sustainable Development Grants Committee
Episcopal Diocese of Maryland
4 E. University Pkwy.
Baltimore, MD 21218
For the Human Family
The Diocese knows there are many persons in Maryland who live in poverty. The Sustainable Development Grants Committee urges all Maryland Episcopalians to work to relieve poverty here at home in addition to the work sponsored by the Diocese through its 0.7% commitment to alleviate poverty globally.
O God, you made us in your own image and redeemed us through Jesus your Son: Look with compassion on the whole human family; take away the arrogance and hatred which infect our hearts; break down the walls that separate us; unite us in bonds of love; and work through our struggle and confusion to accomplish your purposes on earth; that, in your good time, all nations and people may serve you in harmony around your heavenly throne; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (BCP p. 815)