Christian formation finds its way into all aspects of church life: through worship and Sunday school, outreach, and lay ministry. It complements the formation we experience as individuals through personal prayer and devotional reading, family and godparent mentoring and support, and our theological reflections on everyday life.
The Episcopal Diocese of Maryland offers two primary means of supporting Christian formation: resources for congregation and resources for individuals. Congregational support includes online and print material and professional consultation as requested. Individual formation events, classes and workshops supplement what is offered by congregations and is done in close collaboration with the Claggett Center as a pivotal diocesan garden for individual formation.
The Christian Formation Council oversees and coordinates formation resources. For more information on how to serve, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We encourage all congregations to avail themselves of a number of wonderful online resources. The nearby Center for the Ministry of Teaching at Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria, Virginia, has both online and print material.
- Join our Facebook Group to find additional resources and connect with other Christian Formation leaders
- The Center for the Ministry of Teaching at Virginia Theological Seminary in Alexandria, Virginia, has both on-line and print material. Visit http://www.keyhallonline.org/
- FORMA is a network of Episcopal formation professionals. Visit their resource wall at http://episcoforma.org/forma-resource-wall
- Church Publishing offers a number of print resources for purchase. Visit the following website and browse under Curriculum and Faith Formation: https://www.churchpublishing.org/
We also offer to connect a congregation with a local Christian formation professional for a free consultation. Send an inquiry to the Rev. Canon Scott Slater at sslater@EpiscopalMaryland.org
Diocesan formation opportunities are coordinated by the Claggett Center. Many one-day workshops, weekend retreats, classes or other events are hosted by Claggett on site, but some are held in regional locations.
Some examples of formation opportunities:
- Centering Prayer: https://episcopalmaryland.org/ministries/centering-prayer/
- Chapman Dialogues: http://chapmandialogues.org
- Cursillo: http://www.mdepiscopalcursillo.com/
- Education for Ministry: https://episcopalmaryland.org/ministries/education-for-ministry/
- Vestry Workshop
- Winter Retreats for Men and Women
For more information on adult and youth events: