[overlay_content unique_id="7309"]

Clergy called to serve congregations of the Diocese of Maryland are licensed upon receipt of a signed Letter of Agreement. Any cleric not canonically resident in the Diocese who wants to provide supply services or work regularly in a congregation in any capacity (i.e., deacon, long-term supply, sabbatical supply) must be licensed. Clergy who want to officiate at a wedding in the Diocese need not be licensed, but it’s customary to notify the Bishop about the plans and wedding date.

To be licensed to serve, clergy must provide the following documents to the Office of Transitions, Human Resources and Benefits:

  • Completed Background Check, to be paid by the cleric (approximately $75)
  • Resume or curriculum vitae plus a current OTM Portfolio.
  • Letter from the Bishop of the diocese of canonical residence documenting current status as priest or deacon in good standing.
  • Certificates of completion for required workshops and training.

Once a license is granted, the cleric is free to serve as needed in congregations and other facilities (e.g., nursing homes, hospitals, and military bases). Copies of completed licenses are sent from the Bishops’ Office. Licenses are valid for one year (12 months). If a cleric will be resident in the Diocese of Maryland for longer than one year and wants to continue in active service, he or she must request another license. Please contact:

Ms. Caroline Bomgardner
Executive Secretary to the Bishop and Canon to the Ordinary
[email protected]

Requests to become canonically resident in the Diocese of Maryland and for Letters Dimissory should be sent to:

Ms. Eve Wayne
Executive Secretary to the Assistant Bishop
[email protected]